The George Eliot Fellowship

Mr AF Cross - founder of the George Eliot Fellowship

The George Eliot Fellowship was founded by Mr A F Cross on 9th November 1930.

The title of 'Fellowship' rather than society was a personal choice of Mr Cross, as he felt it to be most suited to admirers of a woman who still had a message for present and future generations.

 "Should Nuneaton erect a memorial to George Eliot? If so, what form should it take?" The majority of the writers he approached were surprised that a memorial did not already exist.

Read more about the history

Essay Prize Winner

George Eliot Visitor Centre site

George Eliot Visitor Centre

Read about the Fellowship's ambitious plans to develop a visitor centre on the site of the outbuildings at Griff House, Nuneaton.

Next Event

Janet's Repentance Walk

Janet's Repentance Walk
Sun 8 Sep 2024 2:00 pm -4:00 pm

The Annual Lecture 2024

The Annual Lecture 2024
Sat 14 Sep 2024 2:00 pm -4:00 pm

Membership

Become a member of the Fellowship and be the first to hear the latest news and events. 

More information

George Eliot Review

Since 1970, the Fellowship has published an annual journal of society updates, speeches, analytical essays, and reviews of books related to George Eliot.

Visit Archive

Shop

Browse our selection of George Eliot books, reviews, biographies and gifts

Shop now

Donate

Make an online donation to the George Eliot Fellowship to help continuing development of the work.

Donate

gef sq 100

The George Eliot Fellowship